For children dealing with the daily chaos of homelessness, school can be an important source of stability.
Every fall through Project Cool, Coalition members and volunteers make sure that hundreds of homeless children and youth start the school year off right. Project Cool helps homeless students who may have lost most or all of their personal possessions get the school supplies they need to feel confident and be prepared. Included with every backpack a student receives is a Know-Your-Rights flyer on the educational rights for homeless students outlined in the McKinney Vento Act. The Coalition also regularly provides training for staff working with youth and unaccompanied minors to help them advocate for and support the educational rights of homeless students.
Over 24 years, Project Cool has helped more than 23,000 homeless students be ready for the first day of school.
Project Cool for Back-to-School happens each year because of people like you. We welcome your help! Here are some of the ways you can put your interst into action...
1. Donate to Project Cool. Cash donations are the most flexible way you can help kids who are homeless through Project Cool. No contribution is too small to make a difference and certainly no gift is too large! Donate securely on-line or by mail (make checks out to "Project Cool/SKCCH" and send to 77 S. Washington St., Seattle, WA 98104). Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law.
- $60 will provide 1 student with a new backpack, filled with quality school supplies, age appropriate books, and key basic health items.
- $100 will allow 25 high school 9th graders to write their first high school essays in new spiral notebooks.
- $200 will color the lives of 30 young students as they begin kindergarten with new crayons, markers, and colored pencils.
2. Sponsor Project Cool. Your company can make a huge difference for 2,000 children in King County, and be recognized in our annual report for your generosity. Sponsorship starts at $500.
3. Host a Supply Drive or Fundraiser. Have fun hosting a supply drive or fundraiser in your workplace, community group, sports team, or school. Call our Project Cool Coordinator at 206-204-8350 or e-mail projectcool[at]homelessinfo.org for everything you need to know to set up a successful birthday party, friendly office competition, or other event!
4. Invite your dentist to donate dental supplies. We include toothpaste, floss, and individually wrapped toothbrushes in every backpack. Ask your dentist to support Project Cool by donating these items or by making a financial contribution. Here is a sample letter!
5. Volunteer with us! If you’d like to help, sign up to receive Friends of Project Cool e-mails. We have volunteer opportunities for individuals, families, friends, and service groups during spring, summer, and fall!
For more information:
please email projectcool[at]homelessinfo[dot]org or call the Coalition's office at 206-204-8350.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ProjectCoolforBacktoSchool and invite your friends!